Lively Lettuce Soup with Croutons
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more to taste
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 – 5 new red potatoes, cubed
- 2 cups day-old rustic bread, torn into pieces
- 7 cups torn lettuce (any variety)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh mixed herbs, such as basil, parsley, dill, and tarragon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350°F. In decent sized soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the broth and potato and simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes. Meanwhile, place the bread on a baking sheet, sprinkle it with olive oil and salt, and bake it until crispy, about 15 minutes.
Remove and let cool. Add the lettuce and herbs to the soup. Simmer for 10 minutes more. Season the soup cayenne, salt and pepper, then puree the soup in a blender until smooth. Top with the croutons and serve.